This building, known locally as the Sailer House, was built by Israel Sailer (1817-1896) in 1856. Sailer was a local pre-war architect who, after the Civil War, went into business with Jesse P. Norfleet (1814-1889), calling their business Norfleet and Sailer. Before the War, Sailer is known to have constructed several houses in town, including the Sailer-Matthews House, on Center Street, and possibly the old Malone House, located on Alderson and long-since demolished. Sailer’s architectural trademark was to finish his homes with stucco, which was then scored to imitate stone. This building is the last known Sailer-built structure in Holly Springs which has its original stuccoed walls.
The Sailer House was owned by Israel Sailer from 1857 to 1859, Joel E. Wynne from 1859 to 1860, and Michael Manley from 1860 until 1874. The McDermott family, who ran the nearby Depot, owned the building in the early 20th century. The building is currently owned by Samuel B. West.
It is possible the building was used as an early office building for the local cotton industry, before the construction of the Cotton Compress next door. In the 1970s the building was gutted by a fire, and has been abandoned ever since.
The Sailer House is a one-and-a-half-story flanking-gable brick building, finished with stucco that is scored to imitate stone. According to the National Register, there was once a three-bay porch on one side of the house, but no trace of this porch remains today.
The Sailer House was listed on our 2016 Top Ten List of the Most Endangered Historic Properties in Holly Springs, due to the fact that it has been empty and abandoned for many years now, and the current owner lives out of town. There is little immediate hope that the building will receive a much-needed restoration.