Hull Place was built in about 1855 as the town house for John Hull (1818-1859, a wealthy Marshall County landowner. Like Watson House next door and Hugh Craft House across town, this house was a Greek Revival mansion built in the “Greek temple” style, with a colonnaded veranda that surrounded the entire home.
During the Civil War, the Hull family hid Captain Edward Crump, a Confederate soldier, and his horse in the parlor of the house to avoid Captain Crump’s detection by Union soldiers. After the death of John Hull and his wife Ann, the house passed to their daughter, Elizabeth H. Finley (1847-1920) in 1871. In 1896 Hull Place was sold to T. W. Raymond, the President of the North Mississippi Presbyterian College located next door in the Watson House.
By 1903, Hull Place was officially incorporated into the Mississippi Synodical College, and was moved north on the same lot, to make way for the new Synodical College Administration Building, built on the original spot of Hull Place. For several decades, the old Hull Place was known as the “Annex” and was used as classroom space for the Synodical College. In 1945, after the closing of the Mississippi Synodical College, Hull Place was demolished. The only remnant of Hull Place is the house’s original basement, which is now located below the Marshall County Historical Museum.