Coopwood was built in 1903 by Dan Shumaker (1873-1973), a Jewish merchant whose family owned the Shumacker Bros store on the Holly Springs square for many decades. Dan’s father, Raphael Shumacker (1842-1924), moved to Holly Springs in 1880 and purchased Linden Terrace where Dan and his siblings were raised. In 1903, after Dan married his wife Hannah, he bought land next door to Linden Terrace and constructed this house. Dan and his wife Hannah raised three children in the house: Corinne (1904-1908), who died tragically as a young girl, Raphael (1908-2001), and Sybil (1911-2001).
Dan Shumaker and his family left Holly Springs by 1920, first moving to Arkansas and then settling in Chattanooga, Tennessee by 1930. Dan eventually moved to Charlotte, North Carolina with his wife and daughter Sybil, where he died, age 99, in 1973. Raphael Shumacker Jr. remained in Chattanooga, where he would eventually become an attorney and open his own law practice. The highlight of Raphael’s legal career was as prosecutor in the Nazi War Crimes Tribunal held after the end of World War II, for which Raphael was awarded the Bronze Star.
In 1917, the Shumakers sold this house to Doctor Thornton Moore (1882-1936) and his wife Flora Oliver Moore (1877-1953), who were originally from Red Banks. Their young daughter, Eleanor Oliver Moore Coopwood (1912-2011) grew up in the house, attending the Mississippi Synodical College directly across the street from her house. Eleanor would eventually marry Samuel Coopwood (1900-1987), who moved into the house with Eleanor. Sam Coopwood was a local merchant who would go on to become the longtime mayor of Holly Springs, serving in that position from the 1950s until his death in the late 1980s. Eleanor and Sam raised a daughter, Carol Coopwood Robison. Eleanor herself lived in the house for nearly a century, before passing away in 2011. The house is named in honor of Eleanor and Sam Coopwood. In 2014, the house was purchased by Phillip Knecht and Amanda McDonald.
For many decades, the lot next door to Coopwood was used as the tennis courts for the Mississippi Synodical College across the street (see picture from 1937 above). According to the United States Census, the house was valued at $10,000 in 1940 ($171,000 in 2016 dollars).
Coopwood is a rare transitional home, built just as the Queen Anne style was giving way to the new Colonial Revival style of the early 20th century. It is a two-story multi-gable frame house with steeply-pitched gables and an oval stair window on the east elevation. The house also had a rounded porch at one point, before it was removed many decades ago. Coopwood is a contributing property in the East Holly Springs Historic District.