The Blake-Mullins-Callicutt House, better known as “The Terrace”, is an early antebellum home with both Greek Revival and later Georgian architectural styling. The house began in 1842 as a log cabin, typical of other houses on this street. The original home was constructed by William H. Blake. In 1843, the house was sold to William Polk, who owned the home from 1843 until 1848.
During the 1850s the house was owned by several individuals and families, including Robert Chandler, M. J. Johnson (1827-1910) and Samuel E. Carey (1831-1880). In 1858, the house was purchased by Dr. George P. Phillips (1831-1900). Dr. Phillips and his family lived in the home for several decades, until the house was lost in foreclosure in 1881. Between 1881 and 1893 the house was owned by John L. McGowan (1837-1900).
By 1893, the house had been owned by seven families in half a decade. A more longterm tenant arrived in that year, when Stephen W. Mullins (1854-1940) moved into the home. The Mullins family lived in the house for over fifty years. In 1901, the Mullins family was photographed on the front porch of their beloved house. Included in the picture is Stephen W. Mullins (seated at right), his wife Lillie Robinson Mullins (seated at left), Lillie’s father James Robinson (seated in the middle), and the Mullins’ children, James Wood Mullins (riding pony at left), Lillie Mullins (in front of her mother) and Mary Brooks Mullins (in the arms of her nurse, at right). Not pictured is Maggie Mullins Robison, who was born a year after this picture was taken and who would later preserve the picture for future generations. The picture remains a remarkable snapshot of family life in Holly Springs at the turn of the 20th century.
According to some sources, the house suffered a fire sometime in the 1920s. While repairing the damage, the Mullins family decided to renovate the house, adding Georgian Revival styling to the home, including a large three-by-two bay enclosed sun room added to the northeast and east facade of the house. The original Greek Revival front porch was replaced with a Georgian porch, with square columns.
In 1944, the Mullins family sold the house to Edwin W. Callicutt (1897-1986), a veteran of World War I. Edwin and his wife Nadine Callicutt (1907-1995) raised their family here in the house, including sons Edwin Callicutt Jr. (b. 1936) and Wayburn Callicutt (1938-2018). The Callicutt family has lived in The Terrace for over75 years, and today the house is owned by Edwin Callicutt Jr.
The Blake-Mullins-Callicutt House is a one-story flanking-gable frame home with gable-front ell, a four-bay porched surmounted by a balustrade and supported by square columns (which gives the house its name, “the Terrace”), and a large Georgian sun room. The main entrance contains a transom and sidelights.
This house is lovely from all 4 sides.