Hopkins House is a Greek Revival house built in about 1844 by Alexander B. Lane (1797-1844) and his wife Mary. The Lanes were early settlers from Old Hudsonville who moved to Holly Springs around 1840. The Lanes lived in the house until 1890, when Mary Lane sold the house to W. B. Bradbury, who lived here until 1904. Between 1904 and 1919 the house was owned by several individuals, including Helen Oliver, Katie Swift, and Velma Coopwood. Between 1919 and 1934 the house was owned by Hamilton Harris (1888-1952). In 1934 the home was bought by Frank Hopkins (1888-1953) and his wife Helen, who gave the house its name. The Hopkins lived here until 1999, when the house was bought by sisters Frances Gatewood (1922-2016) and Mary Walker Gatewood (1920-2016). Mary Walker and Frances Gatewood both passed away in 2016, and the house is currently owned by Billy Blaylock and Palmer Hagestrom.
Hopkins House originally faced west onto Walthall Street, and was moved to front College Avenue at some point in its history. The house was also used as a private girl’s school as well.
Hopkins House is a Greek Revival single-story flanking-gable frame house, with a center front gable, three-bay shed-roof porch supported by Tuscan piers and exterior end chimneys.