Latoka was built in 1839 by W.S. Randolph, one of the founders of Holly Springs. His tavern at the original “holly springs” and his antebellum home were both located just a block away. In 1851 it was sold to Adrian N. Mayer (1804-1869), a local lawyer, who added onto the house. Between 1871 and 1875 it was owned by Jule J. Sigman (1828-1889) and then sold to Eliza Stephenson Potts in 1875.
It was the home of the Luckie family between 1903 and 1917 and the Fant family from 1917 to 1949. Dr. W.C. Sandusky Sr. (1888-1973) owned the property between 1949 and 1959, and sold it to Claude Smith (1894-1961) and Lurline Smith (1895-1978) in 1959, who were the grandparents of Fox News reporter Shep Smith. In 1980 the Smith family sold the house to Walter Webb, who then sold the house in 1988 to Granville and Eugenia Messick, who renamed the home “Latoka” after the legendary Chickasaw princess who lived in the area before the founding of the town. The Messicks still own the house today, and have conducted renovations and restorations over the years.
Latoka is a single-story flanking-gable brick Greek Revival house, with simple brick pilasters and a single-bay pedimented portico supported by attenuated Tuscan piers. The house has interior end chimneys. The main entrance is framed by sidelights and a transom. Segmental arches are located over the windows.