The Benton County Courthouse was built in 1873 by the architect George Wilson Patrick Sr. of the firm Patrick and Price out of Booneville, Mississippi. It is located in the center of Ashland, the Benton County seat. It has not been used as an active courthouse since the early 2000s, when the courts moved to a building west of the square and the Benton County School District moved into the old courthouse.
The courthouse is a two-story brick structure built in the Greek Revival style. The red brick building was plastered during the 1900s and much later painted white. Both the east and west fronts have large pedimented porticos supported by tall round columns. There is a balcony over the first floor entrance. The center of the roof contains an octagonal wood cupola with a dome at the top. Additions to the courthouse were made in 1948 and 1970.