West Hill was built about 1875 by General Absalom M. West (1818-1894). This lot was originally part of the Airliewood property next door to the west, but was sold to Lizzie Tate in 1870. Tate sold the property in 1874 to Absalom West, a former Confederate General, President of the Mississippi Central Railroad, and owner of the Clapp-Fant House down Salem Avenue. West began construction of this Italianate cottage soon after purchasing the lot as a wedding gift to his daughter Caroline. Sadly, Caroline never moved into the house due to the death of her husband in the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878.
In 1887 West sold the house to Henry Dickerson, who lived here until 1897. Between 1897 and 1908 the home was owned by David J. Barnes. Between 1908 and 1927 the house was owned by several owners, including Ella A. Buck (1908-1910), H. M. Street (1910-1912), Katie Miller (1912-1919), and W. D. Howard (1919-1927). Between 1927 and 1973 West Hill was owned by John Gray and his wife Mary. In 1974 it was bought by Charles (C. B.) and Marie McClatchy, who have restored the house and raised there family here.
West Hill is a one-and-a-half-story flanking gable frame Italianate cottage, with a flat-roof bay window, two-bay shed-roof porch supported by paired turned posts with embellished stickwork.