The Wagner House is a spectacular Queen Anne Victorian home built in about 1890 by Daniel R. Wagner (1840-1915), a local businessman who helped found Water Valley’s cotton factory and later opened a store on Main Street which still bears his name. The Wagner family remained one of the most famous families in Water Valley for many years, and several generations of Wagners lived in this house.
The Wagner House was the site of one of the most infamous murders in North Mississippi history. In 1931, Daniel Wagner’s son, William B. Wagner (1867-1931) and his wife Mamie H. Wagner (1871-1931) were brutally murdered in the house. William Wagner’s body was found buried in the backyard of the house, while Mamie’s body was found in a nearby gully. One of Wagner’s employees, Sam Whitaker, confessed to the murders, and he and his accomplices were tried and executed.
In 2008 the house left the Wagner family after five generations and was purchased by Karen and Richard Waring, who began restorations on the house.