The Pines was built in 1871 by Major Addison Craft (1835-1909), the son of early settler Hugh Craft, who served in the Confederate army and would later become mayor of Holly Springs. He and his wife, Frances Breckenridge Craft (1837-1886), lived here in the house and entertained many guests. Their son John Young Craft died as a teenager during the Yellow Fever in this house.
After Addison Craft’s death in 1909, the Pines was willed to Craft’s two daughters, Lizzie Craft (1862-1952) and Cornelia Craft (1870-1953), who lived in the home for many decades until their passing in the 1950s. In 1952 the home passed to Cornelia Craft’s nephew, John Craft (1892-1975). The Craft family owned the house for over 100 years, until 1979 when they sold the house to Robert Hurdle. The Hurdles owned the house from 1979 until 1987, when they sold the home to Sam McClatchy, who then resold the house three years later to Robert D. Farnsworth (1938-2014) and his wife, Imogene Hudson Farnsworth, a wildlife artist who still owns the house.
The Pines was the first house in Holly Springs to have a name, a practice which became ever more popular after the beginning of the Holly Springs Pilgrimage in the 1930s. Outside of the house used to be a large cast-iron fountain, dedicated to the memory of Addison Craft. It is currently located in the Marshall County Historical Museum.
The Pines was constructed by German architect Gustavius Adophus Palm (1839-1917), who also built other Italianate houses in Holly Springs, including the Wynne House and the long-destroyed Turner Lane House. It is an Italianate two-story, flanking-gable frame house, with a bracketed cornice, three-bay shed-roof porch, supported by octagonal columns, and windows with bracketed hood molds.