The Howard-Purcell House was built in about 1910 by J. H. Howard and his wife Evie Howard (1884-1913). In 1922 the Howards sold the house to George D. Purcell (1888-1956) and his wife Mary Purcell (1874-1957). The Purcell family owned the house for nearly 60 years. In 1980, George and Mary’s daughter Pauline P. Williams (1907-1984) sold the house to Bessie Faulkner, Vorice Faulkner, Lura Faulkner and Katie Faulkner. The Faulkners owned the house until 2015, when they sold the home to 3D Boothandle TX, LLC, a company which then leased the land to Family Dollar Store, which destroyed this house and the adjacent Davis-Neal House in March of 2015. A new Family Dollar Store was built on the lot in late 2015.
The Howard-Purcell House was a one-and-a-half-story multi-gable-on-hip roof frame late Queen Anne Victorian house with Colonial Revival elements. The house had a three-bay rounded-corner porch supported by Tuscan columns. The roof had dentilled cornice. A prominent front gable had a diamond-shaped window.
Credit for these pictures goes to Tim Liddy, our Alderman at Large in Holly Springs and a friend of historical preservation in the town.