The Mahon House was built in about 1891 by Richard H. Tunstall (1856-1906) and his wife Rosa M. Tunstall (1859-1903). The Tunstall family owned the home between 1891 and 1909. In 1909 the house was bought by Mary Malone (1873-1954), who lived here from 1909 until 1919. Judge Hugh K. Mahon (1870-1948) and his wife Walker Gatewood Mahon (1871-1940) lived here from 1919 until 1949, when the house was sold to Buford Gatewood. The Gatewoods (who were related to the Mahons) lived in the Mahon House from 1949 until 1965.
The house was owned by Sarah Simpson (1908-2002) from 1965 until 1975, and then Scott Robinson from 1975 until 1984. Other owners of the house included Ben Evans, from 1984 until 1992, Donny Wilkins from 1992 until 1996, David Futral from 1996 until 2004 and Teri Jackson from 2006 until 2009.
This home was condemned by the City in 2009 and demolished soon after. Today an empty lot stands in its place, looking oddly out of place in the crowded historic district of Holly Springs.
The Mahon House was a two-story flanking-gable frame house, with a gable-front ell, tri-part bay window, and an Eastlake-inspired door.
Picture of the original house is courtesy of Google Maps.