Hill Crest Cemetery is one of great gems of Holly Springs and one of the finest historic cemeteries in north Mississippi, though the local government has not always treated it as such. Hill Crest Cemetery was first formed in 1845, when R. H. Byrne donated the land of the cemetery to the city of Holly Springs. However, these grounds were used as a cemetery even before the city took control of the land, as there are several early graves which date to 1838. This original cemetery plot is located along Center Street (the old Oxford Road), and many of the oldest tombstones in the cemetery can still be found there today. In 1904, the cemetery expanded north, after Dr. John Burton deeded a lot to the city which had earlier been used as a baseball field. This part of the cemetery fronts Elder Street, which is also where the beautiful iron gates, donated by the Wynne family, can be found.
For many decades the cemetery was simply known as the Town Cemetery. It received its name “Hill Crest” in 1905, by Mrs. W. A. Anderson, after attending the funeral of Hindman Doxey. Many of the greatest citizens in Holly Springs and Marshall County are buried in Hill Crest, including founding fathers, war heroes, local, state and federal politicians and other figures.
Hill Crest Cemetery contains the bodies of many unknown soldiers who died in the Civil War, along with the remains of six Confederate generals. In addition, there are two Confederate monuments in the Cemetery: the Monument to the Confederate Dead, erected in 1874-1876 (the central shaft was not erected until 1901), and a newer monument to the southeast, erected by the Sons of the Confederacy in 1890.
The cemetery also contains a mass burial ground for victims of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878, though this mass grave is currently unmarked. In addition, many of the more notable victims of the Fever are buried in their family plots. There are also two large monuments dedicated to certain victims of the Fever: the Mississippi Press Association monument, dedicated to the W. J. L. Holland, Kinloch Falconer and other reporters who died in the Fever, and the monument to Father Oberti and the Catholic nuns who died administering to the sick and dying during the epidemic.
For many years, James “Bud” Holbrook was the groundskeeper of Hill Crest who earned the respect of the townspeople by perfectly maintaining the grounds and monuments. In the 21st century, the foremost authority on Hill Crest Cemetery is Bobby Mitchell, who has authored a book on the cemetery and has plotted nearly every lot and historic grave in the cemetery.
Hill Crest Cemetery was listed on our 2016 list of the Top Ten Most Endangered Historic Properties in Holly Springs. Hill Crest Cemetery has suffered greatly over the many years from vandals, negligent groundskeepers and inept city government. Today, numerous monuments and iron fences are destroyed, severely damaged, or entirely missing. it is unknown whether the damage has been caused by vandals, vehicles, or the lawnmowers used by cemetery groundskeepers. A major accident occurred in 2014, when an employee driving a city-owned vehicle caused significant damage to several monuments.
Hill Crest’s worst enemy has been the Holly Springs City Board, who over the last 10 years have squandered, misused or misplaced funds appropriated to the cemetery by the State of Mississippi. In 2003 and 2004, the Mississippi Senate approved $500,000 in total funds for repairs and renovations of Hill Crest Cemetery and the Chalmers Institute. In 2007, the City of Holly Springs received this half million dollars. Almost immediately, the City Board ignored the plain language of the Senate bills and used $35,050.00 to pay IMS Engineers for “computer software and digital kiosks” and “maintenance and assessment”, rather than beginning needed repairs. The main gate to the cemetery was finally repaired in 2010 at a cost of $7,800.00.
Over the next five years, the City Board (which has gone through many changes and new aldermen) approved a total of $48,557.39 to IMS Engineers for “project management, design engineering, cemetery management systems, data entry, site mapping, and construction inspection”. The few repairs that the City did initiate were badly botched, resulting in further damage to several monuments. As of 2014, the last time an accounting was provided by the City, $318,059.54 remained of the original half million dollars provided for the repair and renovation of Hill Crest. The City has spent $180,000 of these funds, with almost nothing to show for it, other than a repaired front gate (which has subsequently been damaged yet again). It is unfortunately very likely that the remaining funds will be given back to the State of Mississippi, due to the extreme mismanagement of the original funds.
Much of this information comes from Marie McClatchy, who has spearheaded the community’s efforts to restore Hill Crest and safeguard the original money provided by the State. The preservation community and the City at large owes much to Marie’s efforts. Thanks also to Bobby Mitchell for providing some great insight on the cemetery, and Robin McNeill for information concerning her late father, James “Bud” Holbrook.